Chikungunya is a viral disease that is mosquito-borne in nature. The first outbreak happened in Tanzania during the year 1952. It is basically an RNA virus and is the member of the alphavirus genus. Two types of mosquitoes namely the Aedesalbopictus and the Aedesaegypti mainly spreads this deadly disease that bite mainly during the daytime. Very rarely people die from this disease, but it is not uncommon as well. It can affect people from every age group. There are as such no preventive vaccines available for this deadly disease, but supportive care is given to patients. Medicines like paracetamol, naproxen etc. are given and passive immunotherapy is used nowadays for treating chikungunya. However, there are several homemade remedies as well that can help the patients survive this disease and can help a lot so that the patient can recover fast.
Remedies that can be applied at home
- Giloy juice for chikungunya is an essential remedy. Drinking it regularly can help in lessening the joint pain that is the main painful symptom of this disease. Along with rashes and high fever can confuse people and many detect it as dengue in the early stage. That is why it is necessary to do a blood test as soon as possible.
- Coconut water is an also a very excellent remedy for the harmful chikungunya virus. Drinking it can help you in detoxifying your liver.
- Massage herbal oils or clove oil everyday twice on your joints for immediate pain relief.
- The antioxidants present in turmeric are called curcumin, which contains anti-inflammatory properties and that is why it is recommended for chikungunya patients.
- This epidemic causes high fever and headache i.e. why cold compress is suggested for chikungunya patients. It also helps in lessening joint pain.
- Any anti-inflammatory agent can help in reducing the inflammation and all you need to do is add some of these in your daily diet.
- One of the major problems of the viral diseases like dengue and chikungunya is that the blood platelet count decreases very much and can even prove fatal. It is very necessary to maintain the blood count regularly by doing regular blood tests. To increase the blood platelet count it is necessary that the patient is fed the juice of papaya leaves regularly. Drink this throughout the day and continue it for days until the number of platelet really increases a lot.
- Take triphala juice everyday while suffering from chikungunya as drinking this can help in improving the overall immunity and help in proper digestion as well.
- Take a bath in lukewarm water only and add Epsom salt and some neem leaves on it. This helps in reducing the inflammation and in turn helps in decreasing the joint pain.
Chikungunya is a neglected tropical disease that should be prevented as much as possible. Everyone should pledge to create a healthy surrounding and environment so that these harmful mosquitoes cannot breed easily and spread this deadly virus. Regular checkups and following these home remedies will surely help the patients to fight the virus and resume their normal life once again.