Gynecomastia; a common yet growing concern among men and it’s mostly due to the use of anabolic steroids. There’re many other reasons such as intake of medicine for the treatment of leukaemia, AIDS, ulcer, anxiety and epilepsy that are known causes of enlarged male chest.
Hormonal imbalance is another reason of gynecomastia experienced during puberty alongside excessive alcohol intake. In bodybuilders and other individuals who’re addictive to steroid intake, Gynecomastia is likely to be present. Let’s have a look at the correlation and Gynecomastia treatment!
Steroids & Gynecomastia – The correspondence
Serious bodybuilders and fitness freaks often take illegal drugs sold in black market just to gain faster results in shorter time however the final outcome is usually opposite. Not only these medicines cause gynecomastia but raise the risk of many different diseases, breaking the body from within and in worse cases, leads to permanent collapse in terms of paralysis.
What steroids do?
Steroids increases testosterone level in a body in an unnatural and artificial way. The result is your body stops natural production of the testosterone leading to hormonal discrepancy as they eventually turns into estrogen (female hormone) that expands chest muscles in men abnormally.
A reaction known as aromatisation takes place in a body when taking steroids. It refers to the process when these steroids are turned into estrogen. Some common symptoms or types of Gynecomastia caused by steroids are;
- Enlarged areolas
- Puffy bosoms and
- Classic Gynecomastia
Here, it’s important to note that not all steroids cause aromatisation however raises future risk of developing the abnormality.
Gynecomastia caused by steroid is a lifelong issue that won’t abate itself even if you’ve stopped the intake. To get rid of the anomaly, certain steps are taken such as;
- Surgery; steroid induced chest growth in men is best treated through surgical procedure as it’s beyond just the deposition of fat in and around the chest muscle. While conventional and laser-based liposuction is for fat removal, direct incision and is the best option for steroid induced gynecomastia treatment.
- Surgical procedure is recommended only in severe cases because of permanent scars on the skin. This isn’t always the case and scars usually depend on the severity of the anomaly!
- The first step is to avoid taking steroids before proceeding with corrective measures.
- Upper-body especially for the chest must be done regularly which is the best way for lasting and permanent results however slow but then; patience goes a long way!
- Intake of low-carb diet is another best way to reduce male chest enlargement. Carbohydrates are known to increase insulin and IGF-1 that as a result stimulates growth of the mammary glands.
- Fat converts androgen into estrogen hence fat burn exercises as well as foods are critical for the reduction of gynecomastia.
- Natural pills & cream will accelerate the reduction of expanded chests but overall results are slower. The best thing about these creams and pills is they’ve no side effects however must be taken only after doctor’s recommendation.
Steroids can be accounted for gynecomastia in our society and the only way to ensure remaining safe is simply avoid intake of all such drugs.