Piles may not be fun to talk about but they are a part of life. Anyone can suffer from piles and if your diet is not good then you might have a problem. They become a problem when they are itchy, bleed and cause pain. Don’t worry there are various strategies to solve this problem which will affect your life. If piles are giving you serious trouble, this means you are in a later stage, it’s better to look for piles surgery as an option. If your piles at an early stage, then it’s better to treat them with some preventive measures and foods which you should avoid during piles. This article will focus on these two things.
- Take a lot of fiber
Piles can occur to people who have infrequent bowel movements. One of the easiest ways is by adding fiber to your diet as supplements or by taking them directly into your diet. Adding fiber into your diet is an ideal recommendation by doctors. It might increase gas, but this is not too serious. You should take around 20 to 30 grams of fiber in your diet. Here are some foods which include fiber:
- Legumes, like lentils, black beans, baked beans, lima beans
- Whole grains such as oatmeal, barley, brown rice
- Vegetables like broccoli, green peas
- Fruits such as apples, bananas, pears
- Drink plenty of water
This piles prevention strategy is easy and cheap too, so most of us can do it. Along with a diet rich in fiber, you should include plenty of water in your water. Plenty of water is good for bowel movements. Drinking water helps to prevent constipation and decreases straining. Drinking around 8 glasses of water will help with your digestive system and with your entire body.
- Do lots of exercises
Exercise will keep your colon regular. However, if you engage in activities that increase abdominal pressure can increase the risk of piles. Staying active will reduce your time of sitting and hence there will be no chance of piles. You should stay clear of the heavy lifting and any other strenuous activities and you should opt for moderate exercises like yoga and swimming.
- Avoid straining
Straining and putting pressure on the rectum is one of the common causes of painful piles. In most cases, this can happen as a result of pushing too hard when trying to have a bowel movement. There are other activities which cause strain like heavy objects or maybe pregnancy. You should be aware of the strain you are putting on your bowels and avoid it as much as you can.
Now, coming which foods to avoid, if you are suffering from piles, then you avoid these foods:
- Spicy foods: If you are suffering from chronic constipation, spicy foods are your enemy. You should switch to a diet which has fewer chilies. You should also avoid binge eating street foods. Your body will be fit and piles will go away.
- Too much of cheese: If you are a cheese lover and suffering from piles, then it’s time to say goodbye to cheese. If you consume cheese in extra quantity then only it will prove harmful. You can modify your diet by having cheese once in a week and cheese to salads, so that fiber will help in the digestion process.
- Meat: After spicy foods, you should also take a look at meat. Meat can make your piles worse. This is another food which you avoid from your diet. The solution is to switch to a vegetarian diet for a while.
- Alcohol: It’s not wrong to have a glass of whiskey or a pint of beer occasionally. But if it gets in excess, then it will create a problem for your health and piles. Alcohol also dehydrates your body which will make the matter worse. You will feel constipated which is one of the symptoms of piles.
- Deep-fried foods: Most people are working and don’t have time to eat fresh food. Hence they are dependent on fried processed foods. If your dinner consists of burger and fries then you should change it as this will make your piles worse over time.
- Caffeine: This is bad news for coffee lovers who are suffering from piles. Caffeine will cause stomach irritations and also dehydration if you consume too much coffee in a day, which is 8 cups. Switch to green tea instead of coffee for some time.
Dr. Pankaj Sareen
Specialist in Laser Proctology(Piles, Fissure and Fistula) and Varicose Veins.